Food, Farming, and Freedom: Sowing the Arab Spring
In 2007, Zurayk started writing the Land and People blog, which charts food-policy and agricultural policy issues throughout the Middle East. Now, Food, Farming, and Freedom: Sowing the Arab Spring presents his choice of the best of the posts in the blog from 2007 through April 2011. The book was almost ready to publish when the uprisings of the "Arab Spring" broke out in late 2010. Just World Books then delayed publication so Zurayk could add in an additional chapter tracking and assessing the Arab Spring's early months.
The book's five main chapters address:
- Issues of food sovereignty and politics,
- The food-price crisis of 2007-2008 and how it affected Arab countries,
- Issues at the nexus of environment, resources, and people, including phenomena such as the "Slow Food" movement with which Zurayk has long been affiliated,
- A critique of many Western-dominated development efforts, and
- The story of the Arab Spring, from December 2010 through mid-April, 2011.
*An electronic version of a printed book that can be read on a computer or handheld device designed specifically for this purpose.
Formats for this Ebook
|Required Software||Any PDF Reader, Apple Preview|
|Supported Devices||Windows PC/PocketPC, Mac OS, Linux OS, Apple iPhone/iPod Touch.|
|# of Devices||Unlimited|
|Flowing Text / Pages||Pages|
|The message text*:|